United Way of Miami-Dade Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement
United Way of Miami-Dade is committed to broadening our lens and deepening our commitment to aligning our organization culture and business practices to advancing diversity, equity, inclusion in all of its forms. We believe our strength comes from our diversity and we celebrate the qualities that make each person unique: including race, gender, age, ability, religion, national origin or heritage, sexual orientation and gender identity.
We also recognize that structural racism and other forms of oppression have contributed to persistent disparities, which United Way seeks to dismantle. For over 95 years our United Way has sought to create a stronger community for all by bringing together disparate groups through steadfast efforts to identify issues, define solutions and engage community members especially those whose voices have traditionally been marginalized, to advance social change.
We work with individuals, other nonprofits, corporate partners, labor groups, government and other partners to co-create solutions that ensure everyone has the resources, support, opportunities, and networks they need to thrive. We commit to leveraging all of our assets including convening, strategic investments, awareness building, and public policy advocacy to create a more equitable community.
United Way of Miami-Dade commits to:
- Promoting respect, equity, access and participation of all individuals and entities who interact with the organization.
- Being intentional about building a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace and community.
- Providing additional education for our staff, volunteers and board members to be social equity advocates, providing training and environments that reflect the diversity of our communities, and elevate cultural and racial awareness.
- Diversifying our board and committee leadership.
- Using our collective resources to ensure people have access to the building blocks needed for success – starting with quality early education, financial empowerment, and access to health care and screenings.
- Applying a social and racial equity lens when making community investments as well as designing support programs, initiatives and direct services.
- Continuously evaluating and assessing how current and future resources are applied to close disparities through a focus on programs that provide economic opportunity and correct economic inequities through education, financial stability and health
United Way of Miami-Dade is a nonpartisan organization that creates a place where opposing views and beliefs can be expressed, in a climate of inclusiveness and respect; in order to provide people a way to engage with one another, learn from each other and gain mutual respect and understanding for each other, so that our mission of building community can be realized.