Small Business, Big Impact
Small businesses are the backbone of the Miami-Dade economy. As a small business owner, you are in it for the long haul. Your business is rooted in the community – and community involvement can be a valuable recruitment and retention tool for your company.
By choosing to become a United Way Small Business United member, you can build your business and employee morale. It is simple and affordable for your business to assume a place of leadership in our community. This initiative makes philanthropy easier and more rewarding for the business community in Miami.
Benefits of Membership
Employer benefits include:
- Brand exposure and recognition on social media and website
- Networking opportunities to help grow your business
- Volunteer and team building opportunities where owners can connect and engage with their employees
- Professional development opportunities including:
- Business Breakfast series
- Business happy hour
- Volunteer projects
- Meet & Eat networking dinner
- Business coaching
- Invitations to United Way of Miami-Dade events
Employee benefits include:
- Access to a wide range of United Way services, including:
- FamilyWize discount prescription savings program
- Free tax preparation through Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
- Lunch and learn series
- Access to United Way of Miami-Dade funded programs
Small Business Spotlight
For this month’s Small Business Spotlight, we catch up with Guzman & Company and Guzman Energy.
1. Tell us about your business; and what is your business philosophy?
Guzman has two operating companies. Guzman & Company and Guzman Energy. Guzman & Company is an investment bank and brokerage firm founded in 1987, providing capital market services to HNW, corporate, and institutional clients. Guzman Energy was founded in 2013, as a full services energy firm. Guzman Energy primarily operates in wholesale energy markets, as well as in renewable infrastructure and energy commodities. Both companies are formed with the same DNA: to find inefficiencies in markets and create value by providing innovative solutions to our clients.
2. Why are you passionate about your commitment to United Way?
Our Founder and CEO, Leo Guzman has always been committed to creating opportunities for others to succeed in the places we call home. Leo is a big believer in the power of education to transform lives, as that’s been crucial to his success, so we’re excited about the early education programs United Way provides. As a financial services firm, we also recognize the value of programs like the Center for Financial Stability for the community. Furthermore, much of our senior management team is Navy veterans and we appreciate the vital support that Mission United provides to local veterans.
3. How did your business get started?
After many successful years in the finance industry, Leo Guzman founded Guzman & Company in 1987 here in Miami as an investment bank and equity brokerage firm. We were the first Hispanic-owned member firm of the New York Stock Exchange, and after 32 successful years continue to service clients ranging in size from Fortune 100 corporations and large pension funds to small companies and local investors.
Seeing an opportunity to innovate and expand into new markets, Guzman Energy was created in 2013. The business has rapidly grown since then including the expansion of a Denver office. Guzman Energy serves cooperatives, municipalities, and native American tribes in the American West. And currently provides more than a million megawatts of electricity to customers annually.
Leo and the Guzman family remain actively involved in the operations of the businesses, with both companies headquartered in the same Coral Gables office on Aragon Avenue.
4. What is a lesson learned?
At an early stage, we recognized the value of data and quantitative metrics. As such, we incorporate these factors into everything we do.
5. What’s your favorite quote?
“It seems to be a law of nature, inflexible and inexorable, that those who will not risk cannot win.” – John Paul Jones, Founder of the U.S. Navy
ANNUAL DONATION LEVELS
- Certificate of support
- Company listing on unitedwaymiami.org
- Mention in United Way’s general communications
- Access to United Way’s giving communities
- Employee resources (prescription savings card, VITA tax preparation, United Way Center for Financial Stability)
- Networking events
- Professional development opportunities
- Access to all open volunteer events
- Complimentary access to the United Way Annual Meeting and Volunteer Awards
In addition to $1,000 benefits
- Social media mentions
- Membership for 2 employees in United Way’s giving communities: LINC, Young Leaders, Women United or Continue United
- 2 managed employee engagement opportunities
- Lunch and Learn seminars
- Complimentary access to selected events
In addition to $2,500 benefits
- Membership for 1 additional employee in United Way’s giving communities: LINC, Young Leaders, Women United or Continue United
- 1 additional managed employee engagement opportunity
- Preferred seating at Small Business United events
- Opportunity for additional feature in printed and/or digital assets
In addition to $5,000 benefits
- 2 additional managed employee engagement opportunities – customizable and tailored
- Membership to United Way Tocqueville Society, an influential group of business, civic and philanthropic leaders who share a passion for the community
- Opportunity to receive tickets from our donated sporting event ticket inventory