Small Business, Big Impact
Small businesses are the backbone of the Miami-Dade economy. As a small business owner, you are in it for the long haul. Your business is rooted in the community – and community involvement can be a valuable recruitment and retention tool for your company.
By choosing to become a United Way Small Business United member, you can build your business and employee morale. It is simple and affordable for your business to assume a place of leadership in our community. This initiative makes philanthropy easier and more rewarding for the business community in Miami.
Benefits of Membership
Employer benefits include:
- Brand exposure and recognition on social media and website
- Networking opportunities to help grow your business
- Volunteer and team building opportunities where owners can connect and engage with their employees
- Professional development opportunities including:
- Business Breakfast series
- Business happy hour
- Volunteer projects
- Meet & Eat networking dinner
- Business coaching
- Invitations to United Way of Miami-Dade events
Employee benefits include:
- Access to a wide range of United Way services, including:
- FamilyWize discount prescription savings program
- Free tax preparation through Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
- Lunch and learn series
- Access to United Way of Miami-Dade funded programs
Small Business Spotlight
For this month’s Small Business Spotlight, we catch up with Events by Elle
1. Tell us about your business; and what is your business philosophy?
At Events by Elle we offer full service coordination for weddings, corporate, social and non-profit events. Every day, we strive to create an enjoyable and memorable planning experience for our clients. We devote ourselves to clientele satisfaction. We pay special attention to detail and recognize that it’s the little things that make a big difference. When you choose Events by Elle, you can expect first-class service and execution. Throughout the planning process, you can take comfort in knowing that we will make your event an experience you will never forget. Our mission is to exceed expectations and provide an unforgettable experience at every event.
2. Why are you passionate about your commitment to United Way?
I’m always looking for ways to get involved and cultivate relationships in the community. When I figured out that I could accomplish both of these things by joining United Way, it was an easy decision for me. I am able to continuously meet new people, while giving back to the community. I love that there are so many different groups within United Way that you can be a part of as well. It gives members ample opportunities to get together with like-minded people that have similar interests and goals. It is such a welcoming group and the United Way culture inspires you to want to continue to find ways to give back!
3. How did your business get started?
I’ve loved planning events since I was little; from bake sales to prom and everything in between. It was something that made me really happy, and I always enjoyed doing. I worked on many different events throughout college and in different event planning roles, gaining a lot of knowledge and experience in the field. My last year of school, I took a business course that required us to create a mock business plan. Needless to say, I created Events by Elle. I graduated and opened my company three months later at the ripe age of 21. I truly love what I do, I love making people happy, sharing important life moments with clients, and building all the amazing relationships that I have along the way.
4. What is a lesson you have learned?
A big lesson I have learned is making sure to always look at the big picture. There is a phrase I like that says “it’s a marathon, not a sprint”. In business and in life, I have learned that the shortest or quickest route typically doesn’t have the best long term results. Before making any decisions, I always try to analyze my options from all angles. Looking ahead to the future and making conscious efforts to avoid being short sighted has been a huge help in my life and career.
5. What’s your favorite quote?
“Luck is a dividend of sweat. The more you sweat, the luckier you get.” -Ray Kroc.
See more Small Business Spotlights
Hollub Homes (January 2020)
Shuffield Co. (December 2019)
ABN Law Group (November 2019)
MOWI USA (October 2019)
Benjamin Douglas (September 2019)
Canero Immigration Law Firm (August 2019)
Preemo (July 2019)
Haj Media (June 2019)
Guzman & Company and Guzman Energy (May 2019)
Dixie Landscaping (April 2019)
Title Answers (March 2019)
Munar Law (February 2019)
Small Business United Annual Donation Levels and Benefits
- Certificate of support
- Company listed on unitedwaymiami.org
- Mention in United Way’s general communications
- Access to United Way’s giving communities
- Networking events
- Professional development opportunities
- Access to open volunteer events
In addition to $1,000 benefits
- Logo listed on unitedwaymiami.org
- Social media mentions
- Membership for 2 employees total in United Way’s giving communities: LINC, Young Leaders, Women United, or Continue United
- Employee resources (FamilyWize discount card, VITA expert tax preparation, United Way Center for Financial Stability)
- 1 managed employee volunteer opportunities
- Lunch and Learn Seminars (Example topics are Money Management, How to Improve Your Credit Score, Budget 101, and Parent Resources)
- Discounted ticket packages for selected United Way events
In addition to $2,500 benefits
- Logo linked to your website
- Membership for 1 additional employee in United Way’s giving communities: LINC, Young Leaders, Women United, or Continue United
- 1 additional managed employee volunteer opportunity
- Opportunity for additional feature in printed and/or digital assets
- Opportunity to be highlighted at an event
- Entered into a drawing for CEO to attend the Tocqueville Society Grand Reception
- Preferred seating at Small Business United events
- Complimentary access to selected events
In addition to $5,000 benefits
- 2 additional managed employee volunteer opportunity
- Membership for one to United Way Tocqueville Society, an influential group of business, civic, and philanthropic leaders who share a passion for the community
- Opportunity to attend monthly Tocqueville Tuesday events
- Attend the Tocqueville Society Grand Reception
- Listed as a sponsor of a giving community event
- Invitation to attend Annual Meeting and Volunteer Awards
- Opportunity to receive tickets from our donated sporting event ticket inventory
Small Business United Partners
$2,500 Donation Level
$1,000 Donation Level
ABN Law Group
Accounting to Scale
Accessible Home Health Care of Aventura
Amersia Bank ANDER & Co
Applause Your Paws
Boldman and the Seas Media
Boomer Global Communications
Creatives for Creatives
Debowsky Design Group
EM Professional Services Inc.
Events by Elle
Face, Brow & Beauty Bar
Gabriel Edwards Jewelers
Jennifer A. Marques, PA
Law Office of Nicole Alvarez
Lotus Professional Group
Providence Healthcare Services
The OIS Group